0% Financing Available
A main sewer line clog is one of the most common plumbing issues faced by homeowners in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. These clogs are unpleasant, but you don’t have to worry about them. A plumber like the experienced professionals at Horizon Plumbing can expertly diagnose main sewer line clogs and all other residential and commercial plumbing issues. Your plumber can also provide treatment for your problem, including sewer line replacement. In this blog, we’ll explore what a main sewer line is, what causes main sewer line clogs, how you can spot an issue, and what you should do if you suspect a problem.
What is a Main Sewer Line?
A main sewer line is a large pipe that carries wastewater from your home or building to a treatment plant or a septic system. It is typically located underground and is responsible for carrying all the wastewater from every plumbing fixture in your home, including sinks, toilets, showers, and washing machines. The main sewer line is an essential component of your plumbing system and must be kept in good condition to ensure that wastewater is properly disposed of in order to prevent backups and other plumbing issues. A main sewer line clog is problematic. When a main sewer line becomes clogged, wastewater cannot flow freely through the pipes and can instead back up into your sinks, toilets, and other plumbing fixtures. This can lead to a health hazard and cause significant damage to your property.
What Causes a Main Sewer Line Clog?
One of the most common causes of main sewer line clogs is tree roots. As trees grow, their roots can infiltrate and damage the pipes in your sewer line. This can lead to clogs and blockages that are difficult to remove. Another common cause of main sewer line clogs is grease buildup. When grease and oil are poured down the drain, they can solidify and stick to the inside of the pipes. Over time, this can lead to a build-up of grease and oil that can clog the pipes. Foreign objects such as sanitary napkins, wipes, baby diapers and even flushable wipes can also cause clogs in main sewer lines. Those flushable wipes do not always break down as they are flushed and they can form a big clog in the main sewer lines. It’s safer to keep them out of your plumbing system.
What Are the Signs of a Main Sewer Line Clog?
There are several warning signs that you may have a main sewer line clog. If wastewater overflows onto your floors or carpet, a main sewer line clog can lead to unpleasant odors, unsanitary conditions, and even water damage. That untreated wastewater can contain harmful bacteria that can pose a health risk to you and your family. Exposure to these pathogens can cause illnesses and infections.
sign of a main sewer line clog is slow draining sinks and toilets. If you notice that water is not draining as quickly as it used to, or if you see water backing up into your sinks or toilets, this could be a sign of a clog. Multiple clogs in different fixtures throughout your home is another common sign to look for. If you are experiencing clogs in multiple sinks, toilets, or other fixtures, it is likely that you have a main sewer line clog.
To preserve your family’s health and take good care of your home, you should get help as soon as you suspect that you have a main sewer line clog. These clogs can usually be addressed simply and quickly. Left untreated, they can lead to more severe problems.
What Can Be Done About a Main Sewer Line Clog?
If you suspect that you have a main sewer line clog, the first thing you should do is call a professional plumber. Hiring a professional plumber is the best way to manage a main sewer line clog for several reasons:
- Expertise: Professional plumbers have the knowledge and expertise to diagnose and fix the problem quickly and effectively. They have the necessary tools and equipment to identify the location and extent of the clog and can use a variety of techniques to remove the clog without causing further damage to your pipes.
- Safety: Handling sewage is dangerous. Professional plumbers have the necessary training and safety equipment to handle sewage safely and effectively, minimizing the risk of exposure to harmful substances.
- Cost-effective: While it may be tempting to try to fix a main sewer line clog on your own, this can often be more expensive in the long run if you cause further damage to your pipes or fail to fully remove the clog. Professional plumbers can provide cost-effective solutions to your clog problem and prevent future issues from arising.
- Time-saving: Main sewer line clogs can be complex and time-consuming to fix. Hiring a professional plumber allows you to free up your time to focus on other things while the problem is being fixed.
- Long-term solutions: A plumber won’t just solve today’s problem. These experienced professionals can also provide long-term prevention tips and other solutions to ensure that the problem does not reoccur in the future.
Your plumber will begin their visit by identifying the location and extent of the clog. Once this is complete, they will clean the drainpipe and remove the clog. This is typically done by hydro jetting, which uses high-pressure water to blast away the clog. Another option for more severe clogs is to use trenchless technology, creating a small hole to access the sewer lines and inserting and inflating a pipe liner to repair the existing pipe. This is a great option because it eliminates the need for digging and excavation.
What About Sewer Line Replacement?
Unfortunately, if the sewer line is severely damaged, sewer line replacement may be necessary. This is a last-ditch, more invasive option. If your plumber recommends sewer line replacement, you can be confident that no other efforts to resolve your issue will succeed and that this is the only safe choice.
To learn more about effective treatment for a main sewer line clog, or to resolve any other plumbing issue in your home, schedule a free consultation today. Our team members will come to your home, conduct an assessment, and offer expert recommendations for installation, repair, or replacement.
Schedule An Appointment Today:
(No trip charge)Schedule Now
Contact Us Today
Services We Offer
Areas We Service
- Colleyville Plumbers
- Reliable, Fort Worth Plumber
- Reliable Plumber in Grand Prairie
- Professional Lewisville Plumbers
- Mansfield Plumbing Service
- North Richland Hills
- Professional Plano Plumber
- Plumber in Garland
- Plumber in Highland Park
- Plumbing Company in Flower Mound
- Professional Dallas Plumber
- Professional Rowlett Plumber
- Water Heater Repair & Installation in Arlington
More Articles You Might Be Interested In
Four Ways to save Water and Reduce Waste With Sustainable Plumbing
If you’re like other residents of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, you’re probably hearing the word sustainable a lot...Learn More